Sunday, April 26, 2009

Hush Little Baby...


Hush, little baby, don't say a word, Mama's gonna buy you a mockingbird.


If that mockingbird won't sing, Mama's gonna buy you a diamond ring.



If that diamond ring turns brass, Mama's gonna buy you a looking glass.



If that looking glass gets broke, Mama's gonna buy you a billy goat.



If that billy goat won't pull, Mama's gonna buy you a cart and bull.


If that cart and bull turn over, Mama's gonna buy you a dog named Rover.


If that dog named Rover won't bark, Mama's gonna buy you a horse and cart.


If that horse and cart fall down, you'll be the sweetest little boy in town.

So, hush little baby, don't you cry, Daddy loves you and so do I.






Southern lullaby written by unknown. Am I the only one, what is up with the tragedy in our lullabies? But, I love the persistence of it all. If this horrible thing happens to your most precious thing, well then we will just do this. And quite matter of fact. I wonder if this is a Southern thing? My Mother and I were brought up the same way. Never stop and don't look back. But, surely this isn't only a Southern state of mind?




Anyway, it has come the time to sell the crib. You can find at Fabulous Finds & Co. I assume all you ladies understand how difficult this decision is. To have another and not. Oh.. that is THE QUESTION. So, obviously you can see what our decision has become. I think this is a final decision that leaves our hearts a bit sad. Or, at least for me. I think because it seems so final. This is a feeling you can not describe without feeling a bit of a foul. But, you wise women that have gone through this surely understand where I am coming from. So, I had an urge to share the nursery my dear son had a few years back. It was a room done on a tight budget and a room with no great ambiance. Four walls, two windows and a double mirrored closet door. Ugh... But, I tried to make the best of it. This was my first experience with making custom bedding. What a thrill!!! I was so lucky to have a local discount fabric store where I scored all my silks and such. You would have thought I was having a girl... I know... But, my thought was to make it a room that I adored. A sanctuary of sorts. I did know that I would spend many hours with my son, soothing and calming him. This wasn't a room that I had to worry about a TV for my hubby or anything for another human. Just me. A room to soothe my soul as well, while I was caring to my son. Huh... although I had no idea how late and how many! So, this is what I created with my Mom's final approvals. I've always been a bit of a fabric freak. My Mom has quite style, but her heart doesn't skip a beat on a fabric like mine. So, anyway I had a silk bed skirt and cover on the dresser. Cover for the crib with gold feathers that my Mom picked up for more glam.


I was so blessed to have Kimberly Booher able to turn a regular ugly bleached changing table and green 60's armore into a work of art. She has been my Mom's assistant for 18 years, more family than anything and is quite the little artist. So, off to the local thrift stores I went and Kimberly was there to turn them into little pieces of art for us.


I am sure that I felt many times like John Galliano when he said "they just don't get me and I don't get them". One of my dear friends told me my son would surely choke on the netting. But, I kept the vision. He has obviously survived. It was a special place for both of us and I am sure my husband enjoyed it as well. So, I thought on this day I should share this very special and private place with my favorite friends.

No comments: